Jun 14, 2008

Winnataska Hats Off To Thee!

A rite of passage for the Stone family. Ellabee spent her first overnight (three overnights to be exact) in the Chico director's hut on Chico Hill at Winnataska. I will admit that I was a nervous wreck that she wouldn't like it. I must have been smoking something because the minute we arrived, the child was in nirvana. If only she was a little bigger, she may have made it for a whole week.

I am also happy to report that there were very few melt downs (once we figured out that the key for a happy camper is at least a 2 hour nap each afternoon) and quite a few firsts... Ellabee was at camp for the first time, rode a horse for the first time, met many different camp creatures for the first time (see pictures provided) and cried when she left - for the FIRST TIME of many tears when camp ends.

Ellabee got to experience one highly traditional night activity (Indian Night), fun first night (Wacky Tacky) and Mission Impossible Night. She loved every minute of her experience and I LOVED loved LOVED experiencing it with her the first time. How precious to be able to pass along this sacred part of my life. Wow, I really could weep at the thought of my daughter going to camp.

On a different note, after I was able to bring a very tired little one home on Wednesday and head out for some time in the directors hut sans the bebes, I loved what God blessed me with. He gave me a precious gift this week - a clear head, a friend to share the experience with and perspective on my life as we continually heard about people (the mom of a friend, a church family member, an old camp friend and one of my favorite political commentators) who had passed away this week. It's shocking how quickly the Lord takes those unto himself. It's also amazing to me that life continues inspite of the loss. It seems unreal at times - this thing called death - but I guess I need to think about it on the flip side ... it's life that seems unreal. Life that slips by as we do things... life that should be celebrated. Where else to do that, but at Camp.
Here are some pics from the week - in no particular order:


Honor Hut went to Siesta, here are the leaders - Liz Barron and Caroline Ponder.



And the directors - just ask yourself... "They entrust children to these two women?"


Galahad this week was Amanda Turner (one of my former leaders) and John Michael Floyd


Ellabee with the crafts ladies. These women were so kind to her! I was so excited to learn that Kelley Feagin is out for the summer as the adult coordinator. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Kelley Feagin!


Burn baby burn - what a fire.



This was perhaps the WORST directors song EVER in the history of Camp WInnataska. I was actually pretty embarrased... none of us really (well, except Cathy) can sing!!!

The Stone Girls - Winnataska here we come!


Ellabee made a very special friend in Gaines Yielding. He was so kind to her.


Hanging out in the swimming hole.


Practicing before the big event.



A very special place.


After Mission Impossible NIght.
Ellabee petting a snake - yep, a snake.


And riding our first horse ever! Slick was our first equestrian friend.


Our hut had it's challenges, but we had a great week.
Top Row: leaders Caroline, Jessey, Sarah and Liz
Middle Row: Lizzy, Lorynn, Alex, Elizabeth, Lily
Bottom Row: Cathy, Shelby, Ginny, Abby, Audrey, Trinity, Greer, Emma, Ellabee & Molly


Campo Chico Camper!

The camp we love the best of all.