Aug 2, 2008

In A Pickle

I have a bit of an addictive personality. This I know about myself which is why I stay away from excessive drinking, gambling, etc.  I know this about myself so I also know that I have a tendency to get carried away.  All that to say, when I was at the Bay with the girls a few weeks ago, Tori & Mother were talking about canning things from the garden.  I was intrigued. 

So after reading up and getting all my materials together, I started canning today.  Five jars of summer squash and 6 jars of pickled okra later, I'm already searching the internet and my cook books for more recipes.  There may even be a trip to the Finley Blvd or Alabama State Fair farmer's market tomorrow!!!  I have 36 cans and I need stuff to put in them. Send me your recipes - I'm a woman on a mission.

And seriously, it's kindof like my sewing - it comes in waves - but this is a good thing for the family.  We'll be able to eat on it this winter and think about Pepper Place and where we got the veggies.  I have memories of our house in Hoover smelling like vinegar from Mother canning pickles.  Perhaps Ellabee and Anne Bailey can have that same memory. 

And in full disclosure: I will have to redo the squash tomorrow because of a small mistake, but the pickled okra did just like the recipe said it would - down to the "pops" at the end of the process telling me that the jars sealed.  We'll see if we can get some "pops" for the squash in the morning.
 
My first canning experience.  Five cans of summer squash - will need redoing in the morning, but it was a good first try.

I love pickled okra.  Not sure if it's as good as Mother's but I used the Southern Living recipe and I'm pretty sure hers is similar - a pepper, clove of garlic, dill seed and vinegar... Mother, sound familiar?

Pretty pathetic, I know, but I was so excited to be actually canning!

All that cutting and dicing is cathartic.