Aug 17, 2008

And the Canning Continues

So, the canning continues.  John has accused me of morphing into a 70 year old woman and asked me when I was going to start darning. I don't think he even knows what darning is - to be honest, I don't even know exactly what darning is... perhaps I'll research it and try just to spite him.  


While at Pepper Place yesterday I got it in my mind that it would be a good idea to buy a bushel of lady peas... a BUSHEL is a heck of a lot of peas... just in case you've ever wondered.  From that bushel, I've canned 14 pint jars and 6 quart jars.  Holy cow, it was a lot of peas. Then I went and did another 6 pint jars of blueberry jam and I also did five jars of peach butter Thursday night. It was supposed to cook for 12 hours and be ready - 36 hours later, it was ready to jar.  But, by far it's the best thing I've made.  Here's the count so far:

20 jars of lady peas
6 jars of blueberry jam
6 jars of peach butter
7 jars of peach preserves
6 jars of green beans
8 jars of apply jelly
6 jars of pickled okra
4 jars of squash
4 jars of salsa

I have about a 2 sq foot space of shelving left in my pantry and about 6 quart jars and 10 pint jars left - any ideas on what I can can?  can you do anything with butternut squash - or what about pumpkin?  pumpkin butter?  HUM....