Jul 3, 2008

The Inhumanity of it All

This is a little different from my normal posts, but I have to talk about it. In my new job, one of my responsibilities is as college and career counselor for our juniors and seniors. Many of the things that I've been doing this summer in addition to preparing for the incoming jr and sr class is to wrap up some of the loose ends left by our recent graduates. One, in particular, is a pretty hard case. This young woman is smart and intelligent, beautiful and funny. In addition to that, she's the product of a broken home, daughter of a drug addict, living (I don't know if you can really call it that) in a broken down home that would probably be shut down if DHR discovered it.

We're trying to get her financial aid finalized for the fall so that this young precious woman can go to school to be a nurse. She wants better for herself, but is so caught up in the cycle of poverty and poor decisions that she is unable to make the correct decisions for herself. She's so torn between caring for her drugged out mother, grandmother with demensia, etc. etc. etc. that she's caught in this web and is close to being eaten.

I'm scared for her... but more importantly, I'm scared for us. A wise man said recently that it takes something pretty special (CHRIST) for a person to reach out and care for someone else's child. It's true. The world will care for their offspring. The world wants their children to succeed. It takes godly men and women to care about other children and not just care, but fight against social injustice so that all children have a chance. It's our duty to come alongside these children and help them in anyway possible. I just think it's amazing that we continue to live in comfort when the suffering that I witnessed yesterday lives just down the street. When I was talking to her about drive by shootings and friends who've recently been shot I found myself wondering if I was living in a ganster movie. If I had someone slipped the bonds of reality and found myself in an alternative universe - and then I realized that I had. While our lives continue and the day to day of "Will we go to the park today or the Zoo or just stay home and watch one of our four televisions." there is an alternative reality happening literally five miles away. And it makes me sad.

I don't have answers... I'm just reminded of the starfish and the little boy on the ocean who was throwing one in at a time. An old man told him, "Son, you're wasting your time... what you're doing won't matter." and the little boy picked up another one and said "it matters to that one." as he tossed it in the ocean.

May we all find one that it will matter to. May we all not continue to live in alternate realities but realize that suffering and pain like we've never experienced is happening so very close. And in the end may we say, "to God be the glory." God help them! God help us.