Apr 22, 2008

A Scary Family Trauma

OK, so the majority of you know our two (use to be three) pets: Franklin Truman Stone (Frank) and Capstone's Majestic Fennigan (Fenn). We got Frank and Lola before John and I were married. I rescued the kittens at about a week old on the side of I-495 in Virginia (south of DC) when I saw their mom get hit by a car. She was carrying a kitten and I knew that there must more somewhere else. SO, I rescued four kittens and we took two and my co-worker Jane took two. Lola had to be put down about 6 months ago which was pretty traumatic for all involved. Frank, though, has been living a lovely life as a bachelor.

Yesterday, when I got home from the Bay, Frank was happy to see us and followed me all over the house looking for affection (he's such a sweet little cat). I noticed after about 2 hours at home that he began vomiting and noticed during one episode that a piece ribbon used to tie the balloons seemed to be stuck in his mouth. I tried to get it but he was not very fond of that plan and ran away. After a night of being ill and then refusing to eat this morning, we took him to the vet.

It turns out the ribbon was blocking his digestive track. SO after extensive surgery and $1,500 in vet bills - I'm happy to report that Frank is going to be ok. HOWEVER, donations to the Franklin Truman Stone recuperation fund can be made payable to Britt Animal Clinic. Glad vets do payment plans.

I've provided a picture of Frank for those of you who don't know him and picture of the $1,500 balloons that will be leaving our house before the little guy comes home.


After Lola died I erased a lot of the pictures we had of her (not all) because it was so sad to see them. Here's one of Frank alone with Santa - his favorite place to hang during the holidays.


What started off as "free" balloons that John brought home from a fundraiser are now worth $1,500. Plated in gold those are... plated in gold and inflated with diamond encrusted air.