Mar 11, 2009

Last weekend, we were building a snowman, wrapped up warmly and fighting over the last drop of hot chocolate. This weekend, it was warm enough to pack a blanket, Ellabee's bike and some bottled water for a Sunday morning at the park. That's something I've always loved about our church... the freedom of a Sunday morning. The rhythm of my childhood was lazy Saturdays - replaced as I grew with ball games and activities and then Sunday morning scrambling to get to church on time and then to Sunday Dinner with the family. While I do miss the ritual of Sunday lunch with my parents and grandparents, death and location effects that more than our church service time....

But there's something to be said for Sunday mornings. They're more relaxing to me than Saturday. It's like we wake up Saturday morning determined to make the most of our weekend. Immediately a list is made of all that we want / need to accomplish and the next thing I know it's Saturday evening and we're halfway through our weekend. So Sunday mornings have become precious to me.

I'm reading a book right now that a friend at church asked me to read and give her my opinion. It's about tradition and the family and how important it is to instill tradition and ritual with our children so that through that they see Christ.... and their parent's reverence for Christ. It's actually pretty good but the one thing I have been having a hard time is that she's from a traditional Christian family background where they get up every Sunday morning and head to worship... and in her pages she's encouraging us to create these type rituals in our family's life... I just have to conclude that she's not encouraging the same ritual that she has of going to church Sunday morning... because frankly, that would really tick me off... Lazy Sunday mornings... a true Sabath... are the Stone ritual.

Anyway, I love our Sunday mornings... Here are some pics from our last one.


Anne Bailey is pretty fearless in the swing... somewhat unsettling.



John's pumped because there's a four story rock climbing warehouse opening in Southside... they're offering lessons and he intends to sign Ellabee up. Has he checked into the prices for equipment? Forget the class cost... we'll see.

Even Daddy got into the action



Am I the only one who thinks this contraption is perhaps the most dangerous playgroup equipment ever? YOu have to understand she's at least 6 feet off the ground.

Back at the house - a makeshift napsite. Looks pretty comfy actually.