Mar 5, 2009

Fuzzy Head Thinking

I have a horrible head cold. I'm talking horrible - horrid - awful - every adjective you could ever think of when describing a head cold. But amid the stuffy head horror, I have been on a pretty good high off cold medicine for the past day. It's perhaps the only time in my life that I actually stop and think and ponder and ... well, stare off into space... and here are some of the things I have been thinking about:

1. Is theology a good thing? I mean, other than causing extreme fractures in the Church and small fractures within individual churches... oh and the CRUSADES... is it a good thing? I think sometimes we get so caught up on theology that we spend more time worshiping it than we do the One it is supposed to point us towards. Now, don't get me wrong - I enjoy a good theological discussion more often than not... but in the sense that theology helps me figure out what I believe and why.... but at what point do we not rely on our theologians and theological thinking and just go to the Word, and the Truth and tell the theology to take a back seat... because isn't that where it belongs anyway? Isn't it secondary?

2. Why, when you have a head cold, do people actually feel like they need to start telling you all these home remedies to try. YES, I've tried the Netty Pot... and use it regularly. YES, I know a hot shower will help. YES, I know that eating something spicy will clear my sinuses... why don't those people just let me (the cold sufferer) just suffer in a lonely silence, feeling pitiful and willing death to come since you feel like you're going to suffocate anyway.

3. Why does my neighbor answer the door naked on occasion?

4. How is it that my husband can fall asleep as soon as his head hits the pillow and why WHY does it take me a good 30 minutes of reading or Suduko to drift off?

5. Will the Obama Stimulus Package really send me and John a check for $30,000 - $65,000 because that's what the email that I was just forwarded said. I mean seriously? Sign me up if that's the case. MY GOODNESS, we wonder how we got in this mess and then we have people who actually believe that their check for $30,000+, a cadillac and a freaking pony will be delivered on a golden chariot as soon as the bill is signed.

OK... my 30 minutes of drifting is up... back to a sleepless night because no air will flow through my nostrils.