Sep 28, 2007

No Nap... Day One

yep, I bit the bullet. much like the potty training trauma of August, naptime wars have been the theme of September - to the point where I surrender. I raise my white flag and admit defeat to the 3 1/2 year old who really runs the house. On days like today - it's doable... well, that may be the glass of champagne I've poured myself to celebrate this passage in time talking - but still, I believe it's doable. It's glorious outside and so I'm sitting on our front porch, listening to Chris Rice's Living Room Sessions (a collection of instrumental hymns), listing stuff on ebay, contemplating working and watching my precious angel run around the front yard... barefoot and in her chicken dress.


Today was one of those days that I knew was going to just stink, but I put on a happy face, grinned and beared it. That's right - I loaded the girls up and off we went for a shopping trip to Target. Yep, there was bribery for Ellabee involved (Daddy's taking her to a special party at the hospital tonight - and I was given the power to take that away if necessary) but all in all she did well. It's just harder with 2, but I'm blessed with a laid back baby in Anne Bailey and Ellabee really does mind - if not hesitantly and with vigorous disagreement - she will do what I ask. The trip was made better because Catherine, Andrew and James joined us, did some of their shopping and then we all went to Moe's for lunch. I'm so blessed to have friends who are there, who understand the hectic life we lead and listen to my frustration with the chaos without telling me that I'm "too busy", "too involved", or "need to slow down." this is the season of our life and for better or for worse - it is what it is... and this is where we are. There is an end goal and we're moving in that direction.


So, nap time for Ellabee is no more. Yes, quiet time will come around every once in a while, but I recognize that she's growing up and can do without the two hours of sweet sanity that I truly needed. I mourn the loss of that time... but more so the loss of my little girl who needed it.