Feb 4, 2009

Dangerous Confessions

So, I know that many will read way into this little confession but it's something I must get off my chest. You may think i've lost my mind but here it is... I really really like the Duggars. You know, the people with 18 children who have a show on TLC and Discovery Health. I really think that the mom and I could be pals. Aside from the fact that between her 18 kids and my crazy life, there really wouldn't be much time... oh and then there's the fact that the live in Arkansas.

Yes, they are pretty staunch with their beliefs, but I have respect for that. And they have 18 children. Holy Cow! But all 18 seem to be (by what we see on television) to be very well-rounded and great kids. They don't watch television. She home-schools all of them. The kids are well-spoken. She is soft-spoken. They don't spank (probably one of the many things we'd disagree on). But they also don't rely on government money to feed their children. They are able to provide for them all and I really think they are great parents.

I'm thinking about ordering their new book. I can't really explain the fascination I have with them. It's kindof strange, yes... but I just think they are a great family. And I think it really could be this new bent I seem to be hung on of "live and let live." They claim Christ... really all that matters to me. I wouldn't have 18 (I will have more than 2 probably) and I would definitely tan some fanny's if and when they stepped out of line... but who am I to ask why?

I think I'm just really sick of judgment. We have so much of it these days. Everything from how someone does their hair, eats their food, feeds their children... to what I deal with of judging a parent because they can't provide for their children. I can't answer your question... I don't know why they can't provide for their children, but the fact of the matter is that they can't. Is it my job to sit back and judge them for that or is it my job to step in and help.

As a believer ... isn't it my job to help? Isn't it yours?

And when I step into help... is it that I help or how? Or with what spirit .... I spent a hour sitting on a sofa in a local nonprofit waiting last Friday. A hour waiting with a family who had been invited in and offered the opportunity to come in and select some furniture for them to take home with them. A hour with this precious family who have put all their money into caring for young men who don't have a home... so they bring them in, put their money into helping these young men and as a result don't have much furniture of use to them. So, this non-profit invited them in... to serve them. As a service to them. And we waited.

And it was an interesting situation I was in. Is it enough to provide a service to someone? Is that the end of calling? Is it enough for me to go to a soup kitchen and put in my hour or two slopping food on a tray for a homeless man coming in out of the cold? Is it enough for me to put a smile on my face and in my mind judge him for being there in the first place?

I don't know the answer, but it feels wrong. It feels wrong that we "serve" and in the back of our mind we're judging the person for why they are needing a service. It's hypocrisy at it's worse.

I sat last Friday for 1 hour. I sat while the guy we were meeting let us sit. As if saying, "yep, I'm giving you something... it's free to you... so you have to wait on my time. You have to wait. Forget your day, your schedule, your responsibilities.... you have to wait because I'm serving you."

Father God, gracious Savior, give me a heart for service but more importantly give me a heart for those I serve.