Oct 11, 2008

Racing for a Cure... With Hope


Last year in October, some of my girlfriends and I decided that we wanted to walk in the Race for the Cure 5K benefitting cancer research.  It was a great experience. Very uplifting AND extremely emotional but on a non-personal level.  I was amazed at all the "In Memory" of and "In Celebration" of signs everyone had.  I think I put my Aunt Renetta down on my sign, which while she was my aunt and she did have breast cancer, her diagnosis and treatment happened so distant from me and what I knew or even understood as a child.  


As I walked last year, I was thankful for the women who have fought this disease and won... I was sad for the women who had fought this disease and lost but most of all I was thankful that I knew very few people close to me that had been effected by breast cancer.  

1 month later, we found out that my dear friend and cubicle mate at the time - who was also 30 weeks pregnant and 31 years old - had stage 2 breast cancer.  We joked on this Saturday as we walked as part of the "Mac Pack" that "we'd been through so much this past year..." being sarcastic because of the praise they were heaping on the shoulders of the walkers for just being out there.  And yep, I have to admit that this time 1 year ago, there was a bit of pride in my walking... but this year, there was nothing about my pride or even me involved.  We were walking with hope, honoring a cherished friend who fought the battle of her life this past year and for the time being (and hopefully for the next 50 some odd years) has won.  I pray for all the women out there fighting that they will win this fight and I pray for my daughters that by the time they are 30 with daughters of their own, this disease will be cured so that we don't have to lose any moms or daughters, or aunts or sisters anymore.

Love you Lara and I'm so glad that you are my friend and a fighter. 

Lara with Bennett and Will

Ready to Walk for Hope and a Cure... for all our daughters